Good to know
Hotel check-in time: 3:00 PM
Hotel check-out time: 11:30 AM
Mon to Saturday 7.30am – 10.00am
Sunday 8am to 10.30am
The Brasserie restaurant is open daily for snacks and light lunches from 12pm to 4pm.
6.30pm to 9.15pm
Smart casual attire is requested whilst dining in the evening. Jeans, T-shirts and trainers are not permitted.
Complimenatry on site parking is available
The whole of the ground floor including the Restaurant, Bar, Leisure facilities and some ground floor bedrooms are available to disabled guests with reserved parking and access from the courtyard at rear of the hotel.
Some Club bedrooms can take a maximum of one extra bed for children. Room upgrades will be required for families with more than one child.
There are two Family rooms, one is suitable for 2 adults and up to 3 children, with an interconnecting room offering space and privacy. The other is a Deluxe family room with a sofa bed for up to 2 children.
Children are able to use the spa / swimming pool, with some restrictions. While COVID Government safety guidelines are in place, all guests are permitted a maximum of 1.5 hrs use of the spa facilities per day and prior booking is required, please note there is an additional charge of £20 per adult and £10 per child. During this time, children may go into the spa if available but must be accompanied by an adult.
Once restrictions are lifted, children will be given a window of time when they can access the spa. This will be 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon.
History of the hotel
The Manor of Bassenthwaite (where the Hall now stands) was given to the illegitimate brother of Allan, the Second Lord of Allerdale and Gospatrick took on the name de Bassenthwaite. Another family, the Highmore family, who owned the Hall 1540 to 1748, offered hospitality to the infamous Bonnie Prince Charlie and the Duke of Cumberland during the 1745 uprising at their other residence in Carlisle. In 1748 James Spedding, Squire to Lord Egremont of Cockermouth Castle acquired the Hall and it stayed in his family for three generations until it was sold to Sir Frederick Fletcher-Vane in 1796. This family extended the Hall in 1817 by building a courtyard, a chapel and partially extending the building towards the lake. Four generations of the Fletcher-Vane family resided here until 1850 when it was sold to Mr. Boustead.
Dogs are allowed in the hotel but not the public areas. There is a charge of £15.00 per dog per night which includes doggy bag which contains welcome letter, waste disposal bags and treats. They have recently opened a small shop specifically for pooches with water canisters, balls, treats and anything else that you need to help your dog enjoy their stay. In addition to our dog-friendly rooms, they also welcome well-behaved dogs in the Hall Lounge from 10.00am until 6.00pm, so everyone can relax together. They even have a doggy hairdryer available if your pet gets wet after a Lakeland walk!